Sunday, July 22, 2007

Life is Rough at the Hospital

Max was born on the Thursday in the morning and we both had very little sleep the previous night and on that day with the euphoria and excitement of the day and a few visitors. I thought it would be best if i left the rest of the family at the hospital so they could sleep. By the time I got home after visiting several shops in the hope of finding a baby carrier that was on special I attempted to go to sleep.

I did manage to fall asleep very quickly while watching a episode of the Simpsons. I am not even sure that I was able to see anything after the opening credits. By 11.30 which was the time I woke after an hour or two, I stumbled to bed. My bed seemed so empty. It was now just me and the gigantic pillow Jo used during the pregnancy to get comfortable. It was a very bad attempt to replace my wonderful wife. I had a very poor night of sleep. I woke up and checked emails and did small chores that you can only do at 3 am like washing up and tidying the house. I even managed to put the liner in the nappy disposal doobie. I then woke at 7 and got back to writing a blog and talking to friends and emailing people about the good news.

On my way to the hospital I tried another Target for the baby carrier. I finally got to the hospital around 11 and according to Jo looking like I had a worse night than she did and hers sounded pretty rough.

Max seemed to be settling a lot more than yesterday which is a good thing. But I think we were so excited still about his arrival if he niggled just a bit we would want to hold him to get him to settle. The problem was the reason I was doing this was because Jo was asleep and if I put him down he would wake her and I really did not want that. The problem was that I could barely keep my eyes open. Which resulted in the following picture. I think Max and I were both pretty sleepy. It goes to show that I can fall asleep where ever I need to. The worse part about it was that I was trying my darnedest to stay awake and I failed.






One of the hassles of if you go through the public system is that they don't feed husbands. Which I fully understand but at the hospital where Max was born there is not much about really close to the hospital. There is a very dodgy looking cafeteria on the ground floor of the hospital. On the Thursday night I ventured down the hill and across the road to the Subway which was quite expensive for what you get and always ends up being quite cold even if you get it toasted. As I was waiting for the lift I saw someone walk out of the cafeteria with one of those pizza delivery boxes thingy's. The sight of this intrigued me

On Friday I got to the hospital and was getting mighty hungry and decided to check out the dodgy looking cafeteria. It confirmed what I first saw. There was not much food to be seen on display and no menu. I did see a card that said toasted panini's. So I gave the chicken cesar a go. It was very very good. While I was waiting for it to toast I saw a display that said Pizza by Prescription. It is gourmet style pizza at really good prices and they deliver to where ever you want on the hospital campus.

I grabbed a flyer and rang on my mobile and within half an hour my steaming hot pizza with turkey, cranberry sauce, avocado and camembert was in my hands - as were sitting there watching Max sleep we heard a knock knock and a call for pizza. I am not sure who came up with this idea but it is brilliant. I know what to do next time. The pizza was so good and it was 10 bucks for a large and the garlic bread was $1.50. As you can see in the picture below some times in the hospital can be very tough.



No comments: